Friday, August 12, 2011

Thoughts on my male cat spraying if I were to get another male kitten?

If he was neutered when he was young, and never sprayed, he probably won't spray if you introduce him slowly to the new kitten. I have three male cats. The first was neutered at about 3-4 months. A couple of months later I got another male kitten. He was neutered about 3 months. Neither cat has ever sprayed. Both cats are about 4 years old now. About a year ago I took in another, much older male who was a stray, and also an intact tom. I had him neutered about 4 days after he showed up. None of my cats, even him, have ever sprayed in the house, and I know he sprayed since he was an unneutered tom when I got him. I think the key is to introduce them slowly. Keep the kitten in the bathroom, and let them sniff each other out under the door for a few days. That way your cat won't feel his space has been invaded, and decide he needs to mark out his territory. Since your cat is only a year or two old, he'll probably be playing with the kitten before long, and then your biggest problem will be to keep him from playing too rough with the baby! Cats spray to mark their territory, and if you go slowly, your cat won't see the baby as much of a threat, and probably won't feel the need to show the itty bitty what's his.

No comments:

Post a Comment